Search This Blog

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Some infos before we start

Hi, I'm Ceres.
I'm the writer of this blog and a fan of the band since I was 13, it's been more than 13 years from their first concert i've seen.
I'm a journalist major, but I've never worked as a journalist, now I'm studing to be an physical education teacher. but I do love to write (specialy about music) and take pictures...

I habe a blog about the band in portuguese, where I tell people about the concerts and news about them... I also have a blog about music in general, but this one is really out of date, you can find the two of them in the links. You can also find the link to the oficial Os Paralamas do Sucesso website and the blog of a friend of mine, o Lua (it's his nickname, lua=moon)... All of them ar in portuguese, sorry...

oh, yeah, to beggin with, the band is brazilian, so, the speak portuguese, no spanish.... but, they are quite famous in the whole latin america, so, they've taped some of their songs in spanish also....

the name of the band: the name is "Os Paralamas do Sucesso", yes, the "os" is part of the name... is hard to translate the name, but, only for you to have an idea of how nonsense it is, it's something like "The splashboards (or mudguards) of success"... it's a really weird name, but once you get used to it you almost forget what it means.. I usually call them only (Os)Paralamas (mudguards) or "Os PdS"... this second way is really easier, so get used to it....

The band was formed in Rio de Janeiro, to be more precise, in a little city near Rio (about an hour by car) called Seropédica, that holds the Universidade Federal Rural do Rio de Janeiro (UFRRJ), College that two of the members studied. The three members of the band are:
- Herbert Vianna (Guitar and Vocal)
- Bi Ribeiro (Bass)
- João Barone (Drums)
The first two have met in Brasília, that's why some people think the band is from Brasil's capital, but they started to play together in Rio, when they've met their first drummer, Vital Dias. But in a concert, in UFRRJ they've met Barone when Vital didn't show p to the concert, and that's how they started.
In that time, Bi was studing zootechnie in UFRRJ, Barone was studing Biology in the same place. Herbert was studing in Rio, architecture in the Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro.
The concert that get them together was in 1981, but the band only assumed the new drummer in 1982. They've taped a demo to the famous radio program "ronca ronca", this was the beggining of their way to success.

In 1983 they taped their first album, Cinema Mudo (silent film)... they got a contract with the Music company EMI, the same that released all their albuns until now...
teh songs I'll translate in the next posts are from this album. if you get the taped song you have to have in your mind that they were in their twenties and they knew nothing about that world, so, there's some stuff that they were induced to change in the songs... it's really nice to hear them playing the same songs today, so, if you happen to find some bootlegs of this songs, try it and see how it changed....

I was thinking about what sequence to use to translate the songs, my favorite, easiests?? I've decided to take a hard choice, I'll try to translate the in order, so, the songs of the first albun, from take one to the last.... then I'll start the Herbert's solos and then the songs they never taped (rare songs, songs other people taped etc.) I hope it works, if you wanna help sending your translation, be my guest, I'll see if it's ok and post it with credits, but if I'm in the first album and you send me the latest song they've taped i'll only post it when I get there....
I think this way you'll all understand the history and the phases the band've been through...
if you wanna correct some of my mistakes, please, do it... I don't write in english that well and I'll love to improve this skill...

All the songs will have the original and translated version, so you can try to figure out portuguese stuff and it may help you to understand better the songs.

that's it.... it's late, so, the first song will be posted tomorrow.

good night sleep Tight
Ceres

No comments:

Post a Comment